Thursday, July 3, 2008

Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s “Tokyo Sonata” finally gets a trailer

by Chris MaGee

Word has spread pretty quickly with this, but I believe Jason Gray and the ubiquitous logboy can take credit for breaking the story: Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s latest film (and winner of the Un Certain Regard Jury Prize at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, thank you very much) “Tokyo Sonata” has finally got a trailer and it’s been posted at the film’s official site. This is a good one. It gives you just a taste of an average Japanese family that is keeping a slew of secrets from each other while not feeding you the whole story. I do have to say that the choice of Claude Debussy’s “Clair de Lune” threw me a bit. It’s a gorgeous, evocative piece of music, but I can’t help thinking of Shunji Iwai’s “All about Lily Chou-Chou” when I hear it. It’s a small gripe. I’m still dying to see this film!

No comments: