Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Plot synopsis of Akira Ogata’s next film “Nonchan Noriben” posted at Ryuganji.net

by Chris MaGee

I am an unabashedly huge fan of director Akira Ogata and his two films “Boy’s Choir” and “The Milkwoman” and it was while discussing these films with fellow Ogata fan Don Brown back in April that he clued me into the director’s next project, the manga adaptation “Nonchan Noriben”. Since then I haven’t seen any other info on the project, but once again Don has come to the rescue and posted a translation of the film synopsis over at his site Ryuganji.net. I won’t crib his hard work and post the translation here, but I will post my thoughts.

The story of Komaki, a down-on-her-luck single mother who finds purpose in her life after discovering saba no miso-ni (mackerel simmered in sweet miso) definitely brings to mind one of the landmark films of Japanese cinema, Juzo Itami’s blockbuster 1985 culinary comedy “Tampopo”. I’m unfamiliar with the source manga by Yoshikazu Irie, but I can only assume that Komaki becomes obsessed with the recipe for this delectable dish as opposed to stuffing herself with it and ballooning to 300 lbs and having to be fork lifted out of her apartment and… Sorry, went off on a tangent there.

I am crazy excited about this film and I can only hope it gets better distribution that his other films. Well… For the full synopsis head over to Ryuganji.net.

No comments: