Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Start your engines! A live-action "Wangan Midnight" is coming to the big screen

by Chris MaGee

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a sissy. I'm not much of a sports fan and I'm certainly not much of a car enthusiast. Hell, I grew up in the city! I take the subway. That being said I know there are a ton of folks out there whose mouths start watering when the hear a souped up engine revving, and it's for all of you that Jolly Roger is putting a live-action adaptation of Michiharu Kusunoki's long-running manga "Wangan Midnight". The manga, which started running in Kodansha's Young Magazine back in 1992, follows the adventures of a group of street racers who call Tokyo's Shuto Expressway, or the "Wangan", home.

The film, being directed by Atsushi Muroga, will star actor and member of the Japanese pop group D-Boys Yuichi Nakamura as Akio Asakura, a high schooler who races a customized Fairlady S30Z along what is described as the longest stretch of straight road in the Tokyo metropolitan area. The rest of the cast is rounded out by Kazuki Kato, Masaki Sada, and Kosuke Yonehara.

Apparently this isn't the first time that "Wangan Midnight" has gotten the live-action treatment, in fact there have been 10 films based on the manga made, but all have been released straight to video in Japan, so this one will be the first geared towards a theatrical release.

So, a "Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift" that actually originates in Tokyo? I guess so. You can get more details on this, as well as a cast photo, over at Nippon Cinema.

No comments: