Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Paprika tops the 2007 Midnight Eye Reader's Poll

The readers of MidnightEye.com have spoken and decalred Satoshi Kon’s foray into the dreamscape “Paprika” as the best Japanese film of 2007 in their Reader’s Poll. I think it’s an interesting choice. The imagery and music were wonderful, but I thought that Kon tried to pack one too many story lines into the film. Then again, I’m still fighting my way through Chinatown to track down copies of some of these other films (the copy I scored of “Strawberry Shortcakes” had terrible subtitles), so until I get a few more under my belt I may have to keep quiet… but am I the only person who didn’t like “Memories of Matsuko”?

Regardless, here’s the list of the top ten…

1. Paprika
2.Strawberry Shortcakes
3. Memories of Matsuko
4. Sukiyaki Western Django
5. Retribution
6. Tekkon Kinkreet
7. Noriko’s Dinner Table
8. I Just Didn’t Do It
9. Nightmare Detective
10. Glory to the Filmmaker!

…. and here’s a link to the rest of the list. (“Hana Yorimo Nao” and “Bushi no Ichibun” at 11 and 12?!)

http://www.midnighteye.com/features/best-of-2007-poll.shtml

No comments: