Thursday, July 17, 2008

Full trailer up for Fumihiko Sori’s “Ichi”

by Chris MaGee

Word on this has been popping up all over the net in the past day or so, but I’m going to give credit to blogger in arms Kevin Ouellette over at Nippon Cinema for breaking this story. The new full trailer for Fumihiko Sori’s female Zatoichi restart “Ichi” starring Haruka Ayase has hit the net. Must say that I had my doubts about this project which I voiced in a rant back in March, but this new trailer has assuaged those a bit. Sori, who also directed the table tennis comedy “Ping Pong”, has certainly assembled an impressive supporting cast that includes Takao Osawa, Riki Takeuchi and Shido Nakamura and the swordplay looks worthy of the Zatoichi name, but call me a purist, but the idea of such a radical rewrite of one of cinema’s most beloved characters still makes me a little bit nervous. Well, follow the link above to make up your own minds.

3 comments:

kevin said...

Thanks for the source.. some guy has been checking my site every day and emailing my stories to other sites and pasting my text into a wiki without crediting me. It's so deflating in a "Why do I even bother?" sort of way.

Chris MaGee said...

Yikes! That sucks!

No, thank you for having the eagle eye. keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

Hasn't the original charachter already be re-incarnated into a female body in Crimson bat series? Just in a way Onna-Sazen created from the well-known Tange Sazen?