Friday, November 14, 2008

Vintage Japanese film advertisments featuring Jushiro Konoe

by Chris MaGee

here's another story that just falls into the "This is neat" category. On one of my daily wanders through the internet I came across a Japanese language site dedicated to the life and films of Jushiro Konoe (1914-1977). Not familiar with Konoe? I'm not going to puff myself up here and say I'm a huge fan of Konoe. I have to admit I'm not that familiar with this star of the first golden age of Japanese cinema. Jushiro Konoe was famous for his roles in over 200 chanbara films who then parlayed that fame into work in Japanese historical TV dramas. The English page of the site gives more information about him, but the real treasure of the site are five pages filled with vintage movie ads from newspapers and magazines like the advertisment above for Konoe's 1955 film "Yoidore Hayashi". It's rare for us in the West to see this kind of stuff, so treat yourself and check out the pages below (If you're fluent in Japanese all the better):

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5

No comments: