Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bae Doo-Na floats through the streets in behind the scenes footage from "Kuuki Ningyou"

by Chris MaGee

I knew that while I was away that I would miss some kind of cool news story, and it looks like Kevin Ouellette at Nippon Cinema was the one to snag it. As many of you know one of my most anticipated films of this year is Hirokazu Kore-eda's "Kuuki Ningyou (Air Doll)", the director's live-action adaptation of a manga by Yoshiie Goda about an inflatable sex doll, played by Korean actress Bae Doo-Na, who becomes conscious and begins to experience emotions towards a video store clerk, portrayed by Arata. Since the film was announced back in February very few additional details have leaked out, but now Kevin has posted a five-minute behind the scenes clip showing Kore-eda at work and Bae doing a little flying wire work in the streets of New York. It makes sense. Her character is essentially a balloon after all. Check out the clip here.

There have been rumours that "Kuuki Ningyou" may have been ready for a premiere at this year's Cannes Film Festival, but no official confirmation has been made about this. I'm crossing my fingers because I think that this has the potential to be a very special film.

No comments: