Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"Vexille" director Fumihiko Sori to travel back into space with the manga adaptation "To"

by Chris MaGee

While I've seen, and in fact own a copy of Fumihiko Sori's 2002 live-action film version of Taiyo Matsumoto's manga "Ping Pong", I have to admit that I have yet to see Sori's animated sci-fi adventure "Vexille". For a Japanese film fan living in Toronto I'm in the minority seeing that "Vexille" was featured in the wildly popular Midnight Madness programme at 2007's Toronto International Film Festival. Now Anime News Network has word of a new project from Sori that will finally get me off my ass to see "Vexille" before Sori helms another sci-fi epic.

Sori is set to direct an animated adaptation of Yukinobu Hoshino's manga "2001 Nights (2001 Ya Monotogari)". The manga, which ran from 1984 to 1986 in Futabasha's Monthly Super Action Magazine chronicles humanity's mission to travel into space. The official website for this project, renamed simply "To" has gone live, but there's not much there yet. Hopefully that will change soon and we'll be treated to the kind of stunning visuals that Sori brought to "Vexille".

No comments: