Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Studio 4°C throws its hat into the 3D ring with "Ambient Love"

by Chris MaGee

"Avatar" quickly spawned other 3D films like "Clash of the Titans", "Alice in Wonderland" and "How to Train Your Dragon", amongst others. The only thing I wonder, though, is if these films are all spectacle above substance. The ability to create a truly immersive film experience is intriguing to me, but only if the story and ideas are just as thrilling as the visuals. Have we seen that combination yet? I don't think we have. but when I saw the news that Japan's Studio 4°C is working on a new 3D film titled "Ambient Love". Directed by Koji Morimoto this film is being described as being a "3D version of Disney’s 'Fantasia'" by the folks at Wildgrounds, and yes, I know... "Fantasia" isn't known for its narrative innovations, but a film that combines 3D imagery with music created by the same studio that brought us "Ming Game" and "Genius Party"? That's a 3D film I want to see!

There's no release date for "Ambient Love" at this point, but with Studio 4°C's attention to animation detail I'm sure this project will be worth whatever wait we have to endure.

No comments: