Friday, June 4, 2010

Keiichi Hara gives us a unique look at one boy's life and death in "Colorful"

by Chris MaGee

Keiichi Hara's "Summer Wars" was one of the biggest anime hits of the past couple of years and one that I must sadly admit I have yet to see. I know, I know! I really don;t have any excuse but to say that it's been pretty busy on this end of the blog. I hang my head in shame. That being said with the news of Hara's follow-up to "Summer Wars" I find myself wanting to watch it before his new film comes out.

This new film is titled "Colorful" and it has a really intriguing concept at its core. The animated film follows a spirit who goes by the name of Me who, curious as to the nature of humanity comes to possess the body of a high school boy named Makoto. There's just one hitch though - Makoto has recently committed suicide and as Me continues Makoto's existence in his body Me soon discovers the trials and tribulations that caused Makoto to take his own life. Like I said, really intriguing, huh?

The teaser trailer for "Colorful" (below) has been kicking around for a while now, but it's only now that the full voice cast for Hara's film is being announced, and it's pretty impressive. According to Nippon Cinema we'll be hearing the voices of such major stars as Aoi Kiyazaki, Keiji Fujiwara and Kumiko Aso in the film. With "Colorful" coming out in Japanese theatres on August 21st I officially have just over two months to rectify mt ignorance of "Summer Wars". Wish me luck.

CORRECTION: Who's not that bright? I'm not that bright. "Summer Wars"? How about we try "Summer Days with Coo". "Summer Wars" is in fact directed by Mamoru Hosoda". Apologies from the management...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do you mean Summer Days with Coo rather than Summer Wars?