Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Rare interview with Haruki Murakami at The Japan Times


Is this film news? Nope. Do I think that some of you out there might be interested in an interview with Japanese author Haruki Murakami? Damn right I do, so I’m only too happy to oblige and post this link to a rare interview with one of the most important writers of our time.

Besides Jun Ichikawa’s 2004 film “Tony Takitani” Murakami’s work has yet to be extensively adapted to the big screen, which is somewhat surprising. Yes his novels like “Wild Sheep Chase” and “The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles” can be very dense and wordy, but they are also wonderfully visual and surreal. Actually, when I’d heard of Shohei Imamura’s death a couple years ago I thought to myself, “There goes the perfect director for a Murakami adaptation,” and I can’t think of another filmmaker who could fit the bill.

But here I am off on a tangent again… Check out Tetsuro Koyama’s interview with the author below. Murakami discusses his upcoming novel, his love of running, and how writing stories is “work to plunge you into your soul”.

Full interview at The Japan Times Online: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20080416f1.html

No comments: