Monday, June 9, 2008

Visit old Edo in Second Life

by Chris MaGee

I have friends who are into Second Life, the online virtual reality SIMS world, but I have enough trouble keeping my first life in order, so Second life is a bit of a mystery to me. Now word comes that Japanese company Second COA have recreated 12 simulated districts of Edo, the old name for Tokyo, including Nihonbashi, Asakusa, the Kanda Myojin Shrine and Edo Castle.

Second COA debuted the virtual recreation of Edo circa the late 1800's last month at Virtual Conference 2008 held in Tokyo. Their hope is that the recreation can be used for online sales promotions, tourism public relations, advertising, and of course education.

I must say that if anything could tempt me onto Second Life it would be a peek at this historical recreation. Fans of jidai-geki and chanbara films would have a field day here!

For a look at what Second COA has come up with check out this promotional video.

No comments: