Tuesday, July 8, 2008

“Anne of Green Gables” to get the anime treatment?

by Chris MaGee

I have to be dead honest, I have never read Lucy Maud Montgomery’s “Anne of Green Gables” and I can’t even begin to understand the crazed fascination that some Japanese have with the ginger-haired girl from P.E.I. This very informative article attempts some explanation, but the appeal still leaves me shrugging. Despite my incomprehension I am Canadian and Anne is a Canadian icon, so when I saw this story posted at the Anime News Network I knew I had to do a quick write up on it.

Apparently Japanese publisher Shinchosa has announced that an animated film will be made of Budge Wilson’s new prequel to the famous children’s book titled “Before Green Gables”. The novel published this year to commemorate the centennial anniversary of the publication of “Anne of Green Gables” tells the story of Anne, who having been orphaned at a young age is bounced from foster home to foster home with only her dreams and love of reading to keep her company. Wilson’s novel has already been translated into Japanese by Akiko Usagawa and released as “Konnichiwa Anne” and it’s this translation that Shinchosa will be optioning for an anime treatment.

Anne has previously been featured in a 1979 animated Japanese series (of which the image above is taken) directed by Isao Takahata of “Grave of the Fireflies” and “Pom Poko” fame. No word yet as to who will helm this upcoming “Before Green Gables” project or when it will be released.

No comments: