Thursday, February 12, 2009

Anime voice actresses... singing punk rock anthems?!

by Chris MaGee

When I ran the story at the end of January about how seiyū or Japanese voice actors had a hard time making ends meet and how many are forced to take day jobs to support themselves I never thought it meant this. According to a report at Japanese language site Natalie a group of anime voice actresses have put together an album of punk rock covers titled "Pankore: voice actresses' legendary punk songs collection". I'm still shaking my head.

Apparently some of the voices behind characters in "Naruto" and "Inuyasha" will be giving it their all with renditions of such punk anthems as The Sex Pistols' "Anarchy In The UK", Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and The Stooges' "Search and Destroy" (?!?!?!) Like I said, I'm still shaking my head.

The cover for the album is above (Kawaii ne?!), but as hard as I searched I could not find any audio samples from it. I'm not entirely sure I want to, but if anyone out there tracks some down leave a link in the comments.

Thanks to Tokyograph for the news on this.

No comments: