Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Riko Narumi's upcoming comedy "Tsumi Toka Batsu Toka" uses Twitter as a promo tool

by Chris MaGee

I have to admit that even though I run a daily blog I'm a bit of a Luddite. I had a friend of mine try and explain Twitter to me a few weeks back and it just left me thinking "Why would anyone want to know what I'm doing every minute of the day?" The whole thing smacked a little too much of Big Brother to me, but using the popular micro-blogging service to promote a film? That might work.

Well, according to a report at CinemaCafe.net that's precisely what the producers of the upcoming comedy "Tsumi Toka Batsu Toka", and apparently it's the first time that Twitter has been used as a promotional tool for a Japanese film. Subscribers have been able to receive "real-time" updates about the production of the Riko Narumi (Shindo, Yamagata Scream) comedy about a gravure idol who becomes a police chief for a day via the film's Twitter feed. It somehow makes sense that a comedy about a wild promotional stunt would use such cutting edge P.R. techniques, although this one hasn't resulted in the mayhem that occurs in the film when the new police chief must deal with a convenience store hold-up and hostage taking.

"Tsumi Toka Batsu Toka" is the latest film from "Gumi. Chocolate. Pine." writer/ director Keralino Sandorovich and it opens in Japanese theatres on February 28th.

You can check out more about "Tsumi Toka Batsu Toka" at it's official site, and/ or watch the trailer below. Thanks to Yahoo Japan for the above image.

No comments: