Sunday, March 22, 2009

Godzilla, and the man who gave him life, take over San Francisco this August

by Chris MaGee

One of the places in the world that I've sadly not had the chance to visit yet is San Francisco, but the more and more I hear about The City by the Bay the more and more I want to visit, so when I read this post at The Good, The Bad, and Godzilla I had yet another reason to kick myself that I've yet to be able to make the trip. Coming this August Ragone, the author of the fantastic 2007 book "Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters" will be presenting Godzilla and the Monsters of Mass Destruction, a three day retrospective of ten classic Toho kaiju monster movies running from August 21st to August 23rd at the the Castro Theatre. Being able to see ten monster films from the Toho vaults on 35mm is enough to get excited about, but Ragone has something that will really elevate this to an event that kaiju fans won't want to miss. Throughout the three day fest attendees will get to meet and chat with Haruo Nakajima (above) the man who not only gave life to Godzilla between 1954 and 1972, but who also embodied the suits of many other of Toho's diabolical fiends like Rodan, Baragon, and Green Gargantua. What an event!

I know from checking my Google Analytics that we have regular readers in the San Francisco Bay Area, so if you're reading this then make sure to put Godzilla and the Monsters of Mass Destruction on your movie going calendar this summer!

No comments: