Monday, August 10, 2009

Could the U.S. version of the "Ponyo" theme song be any worse? Not likely

by Chris MaGee

Okay, while I'm a huge, HUGE fan of the work of composer Joe Hisaishi I do have to admit that I wasn't bowled over by his theme song for Hayao Miyazaki's "Ponyo". Yes, it's catchy in the same way that the opening theme song "Sampo" from Miyazaki's "My Neighbor Totoro" was catchy, but I think it lacks a bit of the simple, schoolyard charm of its predecessor. Still, after hearing what Disney has done to the theme song from "Ponyo" for its August 14th North American release makes me think Hisaishi's original is on par with Mozart.

Affenheimtheater has posted a link to the reworked theme featuring child actors Noah Cyrus and Frankie Jonas who provide the voices of Sosuke and his little fish friend Ponyo... but oh my god, this is bad! They've added Pro Tools adjusted singing and a funky beat... and rapping! It's like the aural equivalent of epicac! Don't believe me? Click the link above and get through as much of the song as you can and then compare it to the original version below.

No comments: