Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Full trailer for "Space Battleship Yamato: Rebirth Chapter" underwhelms

by Chris MaGee

Most of you know that the 7-year-old in me has been pretty excited about the news that the 1970's anime series "Battleship Yamato" was being turned into a brand new animated feature film. "Yamato" was one of the shows that I used to catch on WUTV out of Buffalo after school each day, granted in an English-dubbed version and retitled "Battle of teh Planets", and I still get a dose of nostalgia when I see anything about it, so when I saw that Kevin at Nippon Cinema posted the trailer for "Space Battleship Yamato: Rebirth Chapter" I jumped on it. The only thing is that after watching it I felt just a tad underwhelmed. The CGI ships and effects look a bit slap dash, kind of like it's missing some kind of final computerized polish or something. Thankfully the character design remains faithful to original with Susumu Kodai, now the captain of the Battleship Yamato, looking as handsome and elaborately coiffed as he did back in the day. Still... it just feels like there's something missing. Head to Nippon Cinema

No comments: