Monday, September 20, 2010

Trailer for live-action "Space Battleship Yamato" wows, Steven Tyler song doesn't

by Chris MaGee

Yes, I've said it again and again over the years - I am a fan of 1970's anime series "Space Battleship Yamato", so much so that the news of a live-action version of the outer space adventure has thawed my jaded heart and got me excited about a big bloated space opera filled with CGI and 'splosions. (Just check out this post from january to get just a taste of my boyish glee about this project.)

Now the trailer for "Space Battleship Yamato: The Movie" has hit the web (I saw it first via kaiju expert August Ragone's Facebook account) and it certainly has a ton of CGI and explosions, although its strict adherence to the original character designs adds a level of camp that doesn't quite jibe with the more-real-than-real effects. Still there's more than enough in these couple short minutes to wow any film fan.

One thing that confused me a bit was the pop song that gets insterted into the action. Titled "Love Lives" I kept thinking, "Man, this is an Aerosmith rip off!" Actually it's more than that. According to Tokyograph "Love Lives" is sung by Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler. Well, the film couldn't be perfect right out of the gate, now could it?

Check out the trailer for "Space Battleship Yamato: The Movie" below to get a glimpse at the space action that will hit Japanese theatres this December.

No comments: