Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The full theatrical trailer for Hirokazu Kore-eda's "Air Doll" finally arrives

by Chris MaGee

Well, it's finally arrived. Many of you know that I have been eagerly awaiting Hirokazu Kore-eda's "Air Doll" since it was announced in February. The buzz from the Cannes Film Festival was mostly positive, with some critics saying that "Air Doll" provided a nice parallel to Kore-eda's contemporary classic "After Life". The folks at Cannes even gave us a chance to check out four clips from the film last month, but now we finally get the full theatrical trailer for Kore-eda's screen adaptation of Yoshiie Goda's manga about an infltable sex doll who comes to life and falls in love with a video store clerk.

So what are my thoughts? Seeing as I'm not totally awake yet I'll limit myself to capsule comments: Bae Doo-na is lovely as the Air Doll and I'm always happy to see Arata in a role. He's one of the least flashy, but most believable actors working in Japan today. It's also great to see some other very familiar faces in supporting roles: Joe Odagiri, Susumu Terajima, Kimiko Yo, and of course Itao Itsuji. The thing I'm most impressed with, and this is no surprise, is the colour, light, and crispness of the images which of course we can thank cinematographer Mark Lee Ping Bing for. Overall this trailer just whets my appetite even more.

But enough of me gabbing, head over to Nippon Cinema to see exactly what I mean.

No comments: